Listening is a critical part of Christian faith. How can we discern God’s voice in our lives today?
1. The Context : God’s Call
– God’s Word was rare.
– Eli was so weak not only his physical eyesight, but also his spiritual insight was poor.
– The offspring of God’s promise was Samuel by her mother Hannah
– Samuel grew and learned from Eli
– Good News! “God’s lamp hadn’t gone out yet.”
– Eli was still able to give a great influence on Samuel by giving him an instruction how to respond to God
2. What does God tell us who are living here and now?
– God called Samuel three times TO DELIVER a harsh message of judgement that is necessary for the people of Israel to turnaround from dwelling wrongdoings.
– This text reminds us of the spiritual challenges and social transformations that God’s call brings.
– Rev. Kevin Smalls (Sr Pastor of Hope UMC of Michigan)
“There are times when it is hard to figure out which way is the right way. We are bombarded daily with news about safety, yet we want to be faithful disciples who offer hospitality. We are hearing that there are wars and rumors of wars, yet we want to be people of peace.”
– A false alarm of Hawaii
– What does God tell us who are terrifying by the news of wars and rumors of war today?
– What does God tell us who are fearful & painful by the comments of the President ?
– What does God tell us who are searching for God’s Word/ wisdom/light?
– We are living in challenging times of unrest. And Listening is a very critical part of Christian faith journey in times like today. But here is the Good News!
3. God is still speaking to us!
– As Samuel had a mentor Eli, we are thankful for leaders of church so that we may listen what God wants us to do.
– Bishop Bruce Ough (President of the Council of Bishops) statement:
– Some of you might be here w/ a burning Q that comes with relationship or direction or discernment of desire that is in your heart & mind for long time. Is this really what G want me to do or just my desire? I don’t know the answer, but I know G is the One who speaks to you, who calls your name, even today, even in this fearful & frustrated time.
– All we need to do is getting ready to say “Speak to me LORD, I am listening!”
May the Lord bless you as you listen the voice of G calling you in your life right now!