We tend to recognize and honor only those religious elite, at the same time ignore the ordinary. How can we belong to the community that everyone welcome and appreciate to one another?
– Jerusalem leaders’ Confederation with Jesus
– Now Jesus turns to his disciples and the crowds
– Crowd: potential followers of Jesus and his teaching
– the crowd used to learn from the teachers of the temple
– Who were teachers of the temple?
– Moses’ seat: a metaphorical expression
– Who are they in today’s society?
2. Jesus’ Teaching
– “Do what they say, not what they do.” Why?
– We might be in that place
– THOU SHALL NOT COVET:
– Preacher: a person of yelling? make people feel guilty, giving them burden, not freedom?
3. Q to ponder
– Am I giving others a yoke of burden? or the Good News?
– As a congregation, are we recognizing only elite, the rich, the powerful?
– Jerusalem leaders failed not because of their teaching, but because of the lack of actions of what they said.
– In this world, like a baseball, there is only one pitch, one swing, one catch,
– No matter what we say, how much we know about the Bible, by one wild pitch or swing in the air, people in the world will blame church.
– But in God’s kingdom, God is so gracious and patient. God forgives us and gives us another chance.
– Another Good News is God himself in Christ become ONE TEACHER.
– So we don’t have to make a judgement on others.
– Not yet United Methodist Church
– Uniting Methodists Movement: Uniting in Christ by making disciples of Jesus to transform the world
– We may still disagree with each other, but we can live together and love one another.
– So let God speak to us. Then though we are all different, though we fail from time to time, we may all call God ONE FATHER by his grace, so that we may become ONE FAMILY.