Setting: We are called to look forward to see and lean into future, not to the calamity of the past. So forgiveness is necessary in life. But how can we forgive others, especially those who hurt us not accidentally but intentionally? What should be the motive of forgiveness?
1. How many times is enough?-
- Reconciliation: Last week’s lesson- Peter’s Q: How many time is enough? Seven is enough?-
- From the Jewish cultural perspective: Can we forgive more than 3 times?(Amos 1:3) “The Lord proclaims: For three crimes of Damascus, and for four, I won’t hold back the punishment.”-
- Jesus replied in v22 “Not just seven times, but rather as many as seventy time seven.”-
- Jesus didn’t mean 490 times, but he means we should forgive others AGAIN AND AGAIN as we trust the ONE who forgives us AGAIN AND AGAIN.
- Q: Are we living in the life of forgiveness through Jesus?
2.What should be the motive of forgiveness?
- Not just for peace and harmony with others.-
- As followers of Jesus, we do have more profound motive to forgive others.-
- That’s what Jesus taught us through a parable of the unforgiving servant.
3. The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant-
- Two servants: one who owed 10,000 talents and another who owed 100 denarius-
- CEB: 10,000 talents – 10,000 bags of gold / Each talent is worth 6,000 days of wages. 10K talents mean 60 Million days of wages. / No way to pay back that amount.-
- Denari: A day’s wage for the average worker at that time. 100 days of wages are a lot for the poor but it’s not possible to payback if the debtor want to pay back. –
- The one who owed 10K talents has received a totally unexpected gift he didn’t even ask. THE REMISSION OF DEBT.- It’s DEBT FREE LIFE! –
- But he didn’t forgive someone who owed him 100 denarius.
4. Applications of the Parable-
- How about us? How are Christians supposed to forgive?-
- A Q from the hill of the Calvary: Why is Jesus nailed to the cross?” Isn’t it for us?-
- John 19:30 “Jesus said, ‘it is completed.'” – TELEO in GREEK: “complete, finish, accomplish”, also used for paying taxes and debt.-
- What kind of debt is it? It is DEBT WE OWE TO GOD, SOMETHING WE CAN NOT PAY BACK by our efforts and works.- But Jesus PAID IT ALL!
5. WE FORGIVE OTHERS AS ONE WHO ALREADY HAS BEEN FORGIVEN-
- We forgive not because we are fearful that God is going to be mad if we don’t-
- We forgive others not by our generosity but out of humility as a forgiven one.-
- We forgot the gift of grace from time to time.-
- But the GOOD NEWS is when we come to Jesus, He is always ready to forgive us AGAIN AND AGAIN and welcome us.AND GOD WANTS US TO MOVE FORWARD NOT BY VIOLENCE, but BY HEALING, NOT BY JUDGEMENT BUT BY TRUST, NOT BY DESPAIR BUT HOPE, NOT BY DEATH BUT BY A NEW LIFE – A DEBT FREE LIFE!.THANKS BE TO GOD!!!